Sunday, April 06, 2008

My Blueberry Nights


I saw My Blueberry Nights today. Let me preempt this with the fact that I am a huge WKW fan. I went into this movie with very low expectations since this movie got relatively panned by critics. It wasn't bad. at all. WKW needs to stop going into his bag of tricks with the same visual effects.. slow motion, stop motion etc. The art direction was so-so as well. William Chang should've stayed away from the usual 'moody' look of the other films as I think he failed to capture the heart of the cities that the movies took place in. Norah Jones' acting left a bit to be desired, but I think this came from the lack of depth her character had.

On to the good. Jude Law was great. His character was fresh and his interaction with Chan Marshall was my favorite part of the movie.

Katya: Sometimes, even if you have the keys those doors still can't be opened. Can they?

Jeremy: Even if the door is open, the person you're looking for may not be there, Katya.

No comments: